Iran blames the UN for leaving the Saudi Yemen alliance off the black list



Iran said Wednesday that the United Nations is giving the Saudi-led military alliance in Yemen a "free pass" on its list of groups that violate child rights.


According to a recent report by United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Gutierrez, the coalition is "dismissed for continued murder and, after a significant reduction, for murder violations ... due to airstrikes."

The toll has been falling since the deal was signed in March 2019.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Moussawi said on Twitter that the United Nations Secretariat gives a free pass to the Saudi-led coalition in # Yemen, which has killed 100 children.

Moussaoui has attached photos of dead Yemeni children using the hashtag "Listoff Shame", claiming that Saudi Arabia and its allies are mocking United States international organizations.

The alliance intervened in Yemen in 2015 to support the government against Iranian-backed Houthi rebels.

It has been widely blamed for civilian casualties in the bombing, with human rights campaigners saying the country is in crisis.

The Watchlist on Children and Armed Conflict said the coalition was responsible for the death or injury of 222 children in Yemen last year.

Secretary-General for Children and Armed Conflict for Virginia Gamba said the United Nations had come from Saudi Arabia “with no pressure” and that the removal from the list was based on data.

The coalition was briefly included in the 2016 annual list, before Saudi Arabia threatened to cut funding for UN programs.

The following year, after Gutierrez led the United Nations, the Coalition was placed on a subset of the report that sought to prevent the deaths of children. It’s out there in 2018 and 2019.

Post a Comment

0 Comments