Pakistan attack: deadly attack on the stock exchange in Karachi

Four gunmen attacked Pakistan Stock Exchange in Karachi, killed two guards and a policeman, and shot seven others.

The attackers opened fire on the building's main grenade, but they could not reach the trading floor.

The crew took shelter in closed rooms and many were evacuated as security forces pulled out the attack.

The Baloch Liberation Army said militants were behind the attack.

Ethnic Baloch groups have fought a protracted uprising in Pakistan's Balochistan province for a separate homeland and large numbers of resources.

Paramilitary Force Director General Sindh Rangers Omar Ahmad Bukhari said that all the attackers died within eight minutes.

“They came inside the building to attack and mortgage the building,” he said at a news conference.

He said the gunmen brought along food and ammunition.

Pakistan has faced many years of militant violence, mostly by Islamic groups, but in recent years such attacks have become increasingly rare.

'They fired on everyone'

The attack began Monday as terrorists armed with automatic rifles threw grenades and then opened fire at a security checkpoint outside the stock exchange.

"The attackers approached Wendy Corolla and the police were stopped outside the gate. There was an exchange of fire," Sindh Police Additional Inspector General Ghulam Nabi Memon told the BBC.

Authorities said the guards that killed four of the armed attackers have returned. Three police officers were among the seven injured who were being treated at the hospital.

Mr. Memon said the attackers were unable to break into the main building and seized grenades, explosives, and other weapons from them. The Pakistan Stock Exchange has confirmed that no terrorists have entered the building.

Its director, Abid Ali Habib, said the gunmen had left the car park and "opened fire on everyone."

The bodies of at least two men were found from the land beside a large quantity of ammunition and weapons. It is not clear that most of the attack was made by security forces referring to an extensive search of the complex.

Reports say that most people on the stock exchange were able to escape or hide in closed rooms. GeoTV reported that the folks inside the building moved through the back door.

Business continued without stopping.

"We have locked down our offices," Asad Javed, who works in the building's brokerage, told Reuters.

The exchange is in a high-security area with the headquarters of banks and other businesses. It has offices in hundreds of financial institutions and said 8,000 people work in a single day - but the number was reduced due to working at home during the coronavirus pandemic.

Post a Comment