Elijah McClain is a Colorado police officer disturbing the photo near the memorial

Elijah McClain was killed in 2019 when police placed him in a chokehold.

He and his associates resigned after a Colorado police officer resigned in the wake of a major announcement about a disciplinary decision he was facing in the police chokehold, Elijah McClain.

Aurora Police Department Officer Jordan Jones submitted his resignation amid local, state, and federal investigations after photos of him and other officers were found near the McLean memorial last week.

Aurora police said in a statement Thursday, "Jordan Jones, in response to a press question, was hired Oct. 31, 2016. He submitted his resignation. Jones was involved in an employee investigation that took a photo of him, # ElijahEmcline.

No further information has been announced.

Interim Aurora Police Chief Vanessa Wilson said in a statement Monday that she has removed most officers from duty on the road and added photos in the "top priority" investigation.

A source familiar with the investigation told ABC News that Wilson made a disciplinary decision after meeting with his internal affairs review board on Tuesday. The decision was sent to the authorities likely to appeal.

Wilson said in a statement this week that the photos were not brought to the attention of the Aurora Police Officer's Department of Internal Affairs.

She said the "quick investigation" was completed Monday evening and plans to release the results of the investigation "on its own" soon.

"This includes reports, photographic credentials, the name of the officer, and my final decisions that will rise to the level of cancellation," Wilson said.

He did not say what photos the officers will show.

The U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Colorado, the Civil Rights Division of the Justice Department, and the Denver Department of the FBI said in a joint statement this week that agencies were aware of the photos and gathered more information about the incident. Whether it exists. There is a federal civil rights investigation warrant. "

The Government of Colorado. Jared Polis hired a special prosecutor to prevent McClain's death and to file charges "if the facts support the prosecution."

McClain's lawyer, Marie Newman, is a 23-year-old black man who was driving home in the Denver suburbs of Aurora on August 24, 2019, when he was stopped by police after buying iced tea at a corner shop. The family told ABC News last week.

He was wearing a hot night ski mask - which Newman attributed to him being cold - when a man phoned 911 at 10:30 p.m. According to an audio recording of the 911 call released by the Aurora Police Department, the "sketch" for acting.

The caller told the 911 operator that the person later identified as McClain was "a mask" and "a good person or a bad person." When asked if the caller had no weapons and whether he or anyone else was in danger, the caller said "no."

Police body camera footage showed McClain walking on the sidewalk as three officers approached him, and one man repeatedly asked him to stop. But McClain, who was listening to music at the time, continued to walk. According to body camera footage, an officer put his hands on McClain to "take off." McClain responded, "Let me go," and told police he was "going home."

Authorities took McClain to the ground and placed him in a carotid control hold - in which an officer places his hand on the man's neck, which limits blood flow from the carotid arteries to the brain, according to Dave Young's then-Aurora Police Chief's letter to Adams and Broomfield County District Attorneys. McClain, caught in the handcuff, appears on the ground at one point after a confrontation with authorities.

According to Young's letter, the paramedics called the scene, calling McClain a fight, and possibly a bobble. McClain, later administered by paramedics, was charged by Newman with an "overdose" of ketamine, which is used by medical professionals and veterinarians as an anesthetic.

According to police, after McClain was placed in an ambulance, he went into cardiac arrest. He died several days later.

Young said in a statement released last week that the pathologist who conducted the autopsy could not determine the cause of death of any law enforcement officer.

While Young said McClain's death was "tragic and unnecessary," he refused to file criminal charges against the authorities, saying "it is imperative to prove any killings in the state of Colorado. Prosecutors have proven the cause of the victim's death."

"Based on the facts and evidence of this investigation, I cannot prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the officers involved in the incident were not justified in their actions based on what they knew at the time of the incident," Young said.

Controversy over photos of Aurora police after the video was recorded using candles and pepper spray on protesters gathered at a park to showcase Macallan's death. Some protesters played the violin in honor of McClain, forcing the police to disperse the crowd.

At Tuesday night's Virtual Emergency City Council meeting, dozens of public comments from residents, some of whom said they were protesting Saturday, were read and the majority policed ​​by protesters.

According to one resident, "In another case of police brutality in this country, the police are at peaceful vigilance. I am deeply disappointed with the Aurora police."

Another said, "What is the First Amendment when all law enforcement violates it?"

Wilson, defending his superiors, said there was a group of protesters in peaceful protesters and trying to cause trouble for the city.

He said a number of groups gathered in the afternoon at Aurora Town Center, and that it was quiet for a few hours after a group of about 50 protesters started coming out on barricades. She said the department had the intelligence that violent groups were embarrassed.

Some protesters were wearing riot gear and throwing objects at officers carrying armor.

He said one person in the crowd was armed with a rifle, another was armed with a handgun, and officers saw a woman throw stones from a backpack. Undercover officials and Wilson said some protesters wanted to blow up the police department building.

Wilson noted that at one point, authorities were trying to isolate peaceful "violin alert" protesters from spreading violence, and she said police had largely failed to communicate with peaceful people.

Post a Comment