Myanmar convicts soldiers in Rohingya violence court-martial

The military announced Tuesday that three Myanmar military officials have been convicted by a court-martial investigating the atrocities on Rohingya Muslims in the struggling Rakhine state.

As a rare act against military members, the 2017 UN High Court has faced charges of genocide against Myanmar Rohingya.

About 750,000 Rohingyas have fled to neighboring Bangladesh with widespread murder, rape, and shootings.

The rights group has accused security forces in various villages, including Guar pine, of dumping at least five shallow mass graves.

Estimates of survivors in Bangladesh have killed hundreds.

After initially denying the allegations, the army began court-martial law in September, believing the village had a "weakness in following instructions."

The commander-in-chief's office announced Tuesday that Marshall "verified the guilty verdict" and sentenced all three officers.

No details were given on the offenders, their crimes, or sentences.

The International Group of Rights Group Amnesty has called Marshall's lack of transparency "dangerous."

“The closed-door investigation is entrenched in secrecy, and it is driven by a lack of independence in the military judiciary,” said Ming Yu Ha of Amnesty.

The government justified the 2017 operation as a means of eradicating the insurgents.

Citizen leader Aung San Suu Kyi agreed to the International Court of Justice in December, however, that unequal force could be used.

The army continued the atrocities committed by some oppressors

UN investigators have also found evidence of extrajudicial killings in other Rakhine villages, the Mang and Chut Pines.

The incidents in the two villages will continue to be investigated on Tuesday, the Army Chief's Office said.

In 2018, the army put members of the security forces in jail for more than a decade for killing 10 Rohingya in Din village but was released after less than a year.

Two journalists who have been exposed to the massacre have been detained for more than 16 months because of global outrage.

The state has been subjected to racial and religious tensions, with the rebel ethnic Rakhines fighting for greater autonomy for Buddhists and has been tied to the military war since January last year.

Fighting over the weekend, Tejashwi heard an alarm from the United Nations on Sunday, calling for both countries to respect international humanitarian law as thousands of civilians fled their homes for artillery fire.

Post a Comment