Armenia says it is ready to work for a Nagorno-Karabakh ceasefire


Armenia said on Friday it would work with Russia, the United States, and France to renew the ceasefire in Nagorno-Karabakh as the death toll rose on the sixth day of fighting against the Breakaway enclave in the South Caucasus.

Armenia says it is ready to work for a Nagorno-Karabakh ceasefire


Azerbaijan, which is fighting the ethnic Armenian army in Nagorno-Karabakh, did not respond to calls for a ceasefire from the three countries on Thursday - the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) Minsk Group Co-president, who mediated in the crisis.

Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev on Tuesday rejected talks with Armenia on Nagorno-Karabakh, and Azerbaijan's ally Turkey said on Thursday that the three major powers should have no role in the peace process.

"Obviously, Armenia is not interested in resolving the conflict through negotiations and is trying to annex the occupied territories," the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry said.

French President Emmanuel Macron said in a statement that he had spoken on the phone with Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan and Azerbaijan's Aliyev and suggested a new way to resume talks within the Minsk group. ۔

Macron said work would begin on Friday evening, as he stepped up mediation efforts in his role as co-chair of the OSCE Minsk Group.

The Armenian government said Pashinyan and Macron agreed that any use of foreign fighters and terrorists in the conflict was unacceptable, and Macron called for an immediate ceasefire.

Armenia and Azerbaijan have accused each other of using foreign mercenaries in military operations.

Pashinyan also spoke with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

On the third phone call six days after the fighting began, Putin and Pashinyan expressed grave concern about the Kremlin's designation of illegal armed groups in the Middle East.

Putin immediately reiterated the need for a ceasefire.

A senior US diplomat for the region, Philip Ricker, will visit Turkey on Saturday to discuss the situation in the Caucasus and other issues.

More fighting was reported’ overnight and throughout Friday. Nagorno-Karabakh's Ministry of Defense has reported 55 new military deaths, bringing the total number of casualties among its troops to 147.

Sell out

Eleven civilians were killed’ and at least 67 were injured’ in the mountain enclave, which is part of Azerbaijan but is mostly run by ethnic Armenians.

The Azerbaijani prosecutor's office said 20 civilians had been killed’ and 55 wounded so far in the Armenian shelling. Azerbaijan has not reported any casualties in its troops.

The OSCE called for an immediate humanitarian ceasefire to repatriate the remains of the fallen soldiers.

Clashes broke out between Azerbaijani and ethnic Armenian forces in Nagorno-Karabakh on Sunday. The enclave has not been recognized’ internationally as independent, and has been the subject of controversy since the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991.

The fighting, which has killed more than 30,000 people since the war in the 1990s, has deepened concerns about stability in the South Caucasus, a region where pipelines supply Azeri oil and gas. Are taken’ to world markets.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said at a meeting in Brussels that EU leaders discussed the crisis and called for an immediate ceasefire.

The Armenian Foreign Ministry said the country was "committed to resolving the dispute through peaceful means."

"We will continue to strongly repel Azerbaijan's aggression, but at the same time, we are ready to engage with the co-chair of the OSCE Minsk Group on the 1994-1995 ceasefire," he said. The first ceasefire.

On Thursday, Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said a lasting ceasefire was possible only if the "Armenian occupiers" withdrew from Nagorno-Karabakh. Aliyev says Armenia's demands for Nagorno-Karabakh are unacceptable.

"Everyone is affected ..."

Pashinyan told U.S. National Security Adviser Robert O'Brien by telephone that a ceasefire would be impossible unless "mercenaries and terrorists" were removed’ from Nagorno-Karabakh.

France has accused Turkey of sending Syrian troops to small towns and Russia has expressed concern over the alleged deployment of fighters from Syria and Libya. Turkey and Azerbaijan have denied the allegations.

Each side accused the other of launching new attacks on civilian targets on Friday, including firing across their common border west of Nagorno-Karabakh.

NAGORNO - The ongoing war against Karabakh will threaten the integration of regional powers Russia, which has a military base in predominantly Christian Armenia and Turkey, which it says will side with Muslim Azerbaijan in particular.

Ordinary citizens of the region are increasingly worried.

Cahanquba Quliyeva, a 28-year-old architect in the Azerbaijani capital, Baku, said she feared her husband and brother would be called in’ to fight. "We've only seen it in movies. And now we're going through it in real life," he said.

Edward Wilson, a 30-year-old food technologist in Yerevan, said: "This is a full-scale war right now. If we give them Karabakh, they will demand Armenia next time."


READ MORE 

Masked Trump calls on well-wishers the tide turned when he was on his way to the helicopter to board the plane on Walter Reid.