China censors debate, Pence Coronavirus signal during comments fall

Chinese censors disrupted the vice president's debate on Wednesday to prevent viewers from listening seriously to Beijing's concerns about the coronavirus epidemic, just after Vice President Mike Pence began talking about the subject. Gesture left

 
 China censors debate, Pence Coronavirus signal during comments fall

The debate was being broadcast’ on CNN in China, a channel that regularly intervenes through censors. In general, the channel is not widely available in China, it is mostly available by foreigners in hotels, diplomatic compounds and apartment blocks.

 

The signal dropped for about 30 seconds during Wednesday's debate. The blockade came as Pence said "China is responsible" when talking about the COVID-19 coronavirus epidemic, which has so far killed more than 211,000 Americans and infected more than 7.5 million. Including President Donald Trump and a White House staffer.

 

Nathan VanderKlippe, a Beijing correspondent for Canada's Globe and Mail newspaper, noted on Twitter that CNN's signal had been cut off’ during the debate. He posted a picture of the barrier showing a screen reading: "No sign, please stand up." "China censored Pence's comments on China. When Harris started talking again, the signal came back," wrote VanderKlippe.

 

The Australian Associated Press also reported that Chinese censors had taken steps to block Pence's comments.

 

In the closing part of the debate, Pence reiterated the Trump administration's focus on attacks on Beijing over epidemics. The White House has accused China of hiding the extent and severity of the COVID-19 outbreak, and the World Health Organization for helping the Chinese facilitate the deception.

 

"China is responsible for the coronavirus and President Trump is not happy about it," Pence said Wednesday. "China and the World Health Organization did not play directly with the American people. They did not allow our personnel in China to receive information about the coronavirus until mid-February."

 

Pence also reiterated the misleading claim - repeatedly pushed by Trump and his allies that the president had suspended "all travel from China" in January. Trump has claimed that the move "saved hundreds of thousands of lives", although nothing has been offered to support that number.

 

Trump's sanctions on China did not ban all travel from the country to the United States, which only prevented the entry of foreign nationals who had been in China for the past 14 days. Americans and permanent residents were still allowed’ to enter, even if returning from Hubei Province, where the first outbreak occurred, related to a 14-day break.

 

Hundreds of thousands of passengers still entered the United States on flights from China after the ban, and as of February 27, travelers to the United States did not face any restrictions or quarantine measures.

 

However, the coronavirus was already present in the United States when the sanctions were introduced’. And genetic analysis has shown that the spread of Americans was not due to travelers from China. For example, the New York epidemic seems to have been caused’ by people from Europe.

 

Harris responded to Pence's remarks by attacking the administration's Coronavirus record. "The Trump administration's approach to China has resulted in the loss of American lives, American jobs and American positions," he said.

READ MORE 

Second presidential debate thwarts debate, Trump says he 'won't waste my time'

Post a Comment

0 Comments