FC Barcelona president resigns after Messi's feud

FC Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu resigned from the club on Tuesday after nearly 20,000 fans signed a petition calling for him to step down.

 

FC Barcelona president resigns after Messi's feud

Bartomeu was due to face a no-confidence vote next month. The rest of the board of directors of the Spanish football club also resigned.

 

Bartomeu said in an official statement, "This is a concise and calm decision, agreed with all my fellow directors.

 

There will be an election within the next three months to replace Bartomeu, but it is expected’ to be over in three months. An interim board will be in charge until a successor is’ named.

 

Bartholomew controlled the club for six years. During that time, he won the 2015 UEFA Champions League crown, four consecutive Copa Del Rey from 2015 to 2018, and four La Liga titles. But the reaction to superstar Lionel Messi's departure near summer, as well as the recent downturn, trophies and financial stability proved overwhelming.

 

"[Bartomeu] didn't end his word," Messi said in an interview with football website Goal in September, adding that "it's been a long time since a project or anything happened. Has been’ done. Plugging gaps. "

 

FC Barcelona announced earlier this month that the club had lost 97 97 million (4 114 million) last season, and its debt had risen to $ 488 million.

 

Super League announced

The incumbent former president also said on Monday that he had accepted the Catalan club's offer to play in the "future European Super League" which would "guarantee the club's economic stability".

 

The concept of the European Football Super League has been around for many years, allowing teams from Europe's top national leagues to play against each other in their league. Even defending German and European champions Bayern Munich were interested in forming such a league. If implemented, it could potentially replace existing Champions League and/or Europa League competitions.

 

La Liga president Javier Tebas Medrano tweeted his displeasure at Bartomeu's decision to support the league, saying: "It confirms his ignorance of the football industry. Tragic consequences for a president with mistakes. "


READ MORE 

Saudi Arabia plans to add $2 billion to its space program by 2030

Post a Comment

0 Comments