NAGORNO - A new war in Karabakh threatens US-backed peace

Armenia and Azerbaijan on Monday accused each other of violating a new US-backed ceasefire in the wake of fighting over the Nagorno-Karabakh mountain siege, which ended a month-long conflict. Doubts over the possibility of the latest international pressure.

NAGORNO - A new war in Karabakh threatens US-backed peace

 

In just two weeks, the third ceasefire took effect at 8:00 a.m. local time (0400 GMT). Within minutes, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry said in a statement that the Armenian army had shelled villages in the Tartar and Lachin areas.

 

The Nagorno-Karabakh Ministry of Defense has denied this, saying that Azeri forces fired missiles at Armenian military bases northeast of the line of contact. The Armenian Defense Ministry said in a statement that the Azeri side violated the ceasefire at 9.10am local time.

 

The latest fighting in Nagorno-Karabakh, a mountainous part of Azerbaijan inhabited by ethnic Armenians and under their control, began on September 27 and is the worst in the South Caucasus since the 1990s. Two Russian brokers have failed to stop the ceasefire.

 

The world powers want to stop the wider war in Turkey, which has the support of Azerbaijan and Russia, which has signed a defense agreement with Armenia. The conflict has also strained relations between Ankara and its NATO allies.

 

The latest ceasefire was agreed’ on Sunday after separate talks between US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and the foreign ministers of Armenia and Azerbaijan in Washington.

 

Representatives of the OSCE Minsk Group, which was formed to mediate the dispute and led by France, Russia’ and the United States took part in the talks. The group said its co-president and foreign ministers had agreed to meet again in Geneva on October 29.

 

Commenting on the talks, US President Donald Trump wrote on Twitter: "Congratulations to Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan and Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev for agreeing to an effective ceasefire at midnight. Lives will be’ saved.

 

Nagorno-Karabakh says 974 of its troops have been killed’ since September 27. Azerbaijan says 65 Azeri civilians have been killed’ but has not disclosed its military casualties.

 

Russian President Vladimir Putin said last week that 5,000 people could be killed’ in the fighting.

 

Armenian Prime Minister Pashinyan wrote on his Facebook page that the Armenian side was "following the ceasefire."

 

In the war against Nagorno-Karabakh in 1991-94, 30,000 people were’ killed. Armenians consider the siege part of their historic homeland. The Azeri consider it illegally occupied land, which must be returned’ to their possession


READ MORE 

Pakistan's Prime Minister Khan accused Macron of attacking Islam

Post a Comment

0 Comments